Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Caesar Salad Dressing

There has to be a good dressing for me to eat salad.  I'm sorry, but the green leafy stuff just doesn't interest me.  You can say that I'm an osmosis vegetarian.  I eat everything that eats vegetables, and hope that I can get some level of the nutrition that I need through eating our herbivore friends.  I do, however, get very exited about this Caesar dressing.  Now there are lots of stories about it's origin, but divining real fact from the fiction is difficult, so I'll leave that to you.  You can go on Wikipedia and read all about it.  However I can almost guarantee that Caesar himself did not eat this dressing.  

1 tsp. salt 
3 eggs 
1 1/2 tsp. sugar 
1 Tbsp. dijon mustard 
Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
 3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese 
1-2 cloves crushed garlic 
6 tsp. wine vinegar 
1/2 cup neutral flavored salad oil (canola or safflower)
6 drops Worcestershire sauce 
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil   
2-3 anchovy filets Op.

Submerge your eggs into gently boiling water for 60 seconds.  This will make them a little safer to eat raw, or use pasteurized eggs.  Use as eggs as fresh as you can find.  Add all ingredients except for the oils to your blender jar.  Start to blend on medium speed.  Remove the feed cap from your blender jar, and slowly drizzle the oils in while the blender is running.  Refrigerate what you don't use for up to 2 days.  Enjoy!

1 comment: