Sunday, June 14, 2009

Coconut Shrimp

I'm kickin' back in Corolla North Carolina at the outer banks, enjoying a very much needed vacation.  What do I do on vacation?  I cook of course.  Tonight I made a really good coconut shrimp.  This recipe was given to me by my partner Jeremy, and it kicked butt.  Using panko makes the shrimp really crispy.   I used the Mae Ploy brand of sweet chili sauce to dip them in. (I could bathe in that stuff.)  You can find this sauce in any asian market, or on Amazon.

www.amazon.com/Mae-Ploy-Sweet-Chili-Sauce/dp/B00023T3C6

1 lb jumbo shrimp 16 - 20 per pound peeled
1/2 cup flour seasoned with salt and black pepper
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
2/3 cup Coco Lopez or other sweetened cream of coconut 
1 egg
1/4 cup water
Oil to fry

Set up your deep fryer to 370 degrees, or put oil in a large dutch oven with a deep fry thermometer.  Set up fry station.

Combine cream of coconut with egg and water, whisk to combine.  Put seasoned flour in another bowl, and combine shredded coconut with panko and put in another bowl.  Dredge the shrimp in flour, then the cream of coconut mixture, then finally the bread crumbs.  Put in fryer basket 8 at a time and fry for 4 minutes or until golden brown.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment